We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
How we will support children with SEND when they are moving on to another class or leaving this school:
Nursery to Primary
In order to ensure a smooth transition for nursery children:
- Our reception teachers visit nurseries during the term prior to the children starting school. During these visits, teachers meet the pupils and have valuable discussions about the children with nursery staff.
- There are two school visits for the children during that same term, where the children meet staff and a buddy is assigned to them. (The buddy is a pupil from the current year 5 who will support the new starters in September during play times and dinner times).
- Parents meet the staff and have the opportunity to ask questions and share valuable information with the class teachers.
- Additional visits are arranged for pupils who have specific needs which require a little more support.
- When pupils are already involved with other agencies, liaison takes place. This could be in the form of a report, a telephone conversation or a meeting where parents are invited.
Primary to Secondary
We support all transition arranged by our secondary schools to ensure that our pupils feel happy In their transition. This includes:
- Pupil visits to their feeder secondary schools in both year 5 and year 6.
- Transition visits from members of staff from the secondary school.
- Year 6 teachers visit staff in our secondary schools to talk about our pupils and their needs.
- For children with specific needs, meetings can be arranged between staff from both schools, parents/ careers and other agencies.
- Special needs staff from both schools meet to discuss needs of our pupils.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.